In a recent article for ISSA Magazine, Ada Baldwin, director of university housekeeping at NC State University reminds us that while COVID-19 has dominated the news this year, environmental services staff are also the front line of defense against another threat, that of MRSA. Click to read the article.
While most cases of MRSA (or Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) lead to mild infections of the skin and are not serious, the bacterium can also cause serious complications if it infects surgical wounds, the bloodstream or the urinary tract. Public health officials are alarmed by the spread of new strains, and because of the difficulty involved in treating it, it's known as a "super bug."1
Colleges are at especially high risk --- given their higher levels of activities that involve crowds, shared equipment, and/or skin to skin contact.
But cleaning and disinfecting is the EVS team’s best defense against harmful bacteria and other pathogens.
How EVS Staff can protect colleges from MRSA:
- Take inventory regularly and maintain adequate levels of necessary supplies (including towels, cloths, sprayers, bottles, bags, mops and buckets).
- Select a quality disinfectant registered by the EPA that kills Staphylococcus aureus.
- Dispose of your cleaning materials properly after each use (gloves, trash bags, etc.)
- Pay special attention to high risk areas (athletic facilities and common surfaces).
- Have an action plan to contain the spread.
- Involve various groups (students, campus facilities, dining services, faculty & staff, local health officials, etc.)
As the most important line of defense, Baldwin encourages EVS workers to both understand the stakes of, and achieve the recognition for, the critical work that they do.
Our Disinfectant Cleaner is registered by the EPA to kill coronavirus, and is demonstrated effective against MRSA and other bacteria, viruses, fungi, and pathogens. Our products are used by retail stores, healthcare facilities, and colleges and universities across the country. Contact us to find out if buying disinfectant as part of a customized cleaning kit might be right for your university, company, or organization.
Purchase Bulk Disinfectant: